About this site
epi`s website provides information about the Institute and our activities and provides access to certain services. This privacy statement describes what information we collect, the purpose for which we collect that data and how we do so.
Why does epi collect certain personal data?
epi collects and processes personal data on its website www.patentepi.org only to the extent necessary to provide services or content you have requested.
What personal information we collect?
We collect personal data on our website in two ways: data generated by your activity on the website and data you directly provide to us.
1. Data we collect through your use of the website
We collect the following types of personal data:
1.1. Usage Data
When you visit our website, "usage data" is stored temporarily on our web server. When visiting and browsing the website, epi collects and stores personal data assigned to the user's device in order to provide users with access to the website, the requested content as well as optimising the website. The data are stored as a record for statistical purposes to improve the quality of our website.
This data record consists of
- the page from which the data was requested
- the file name
- the date and time of the request
- the data quantity transferred
- the access status (file transferred, file not found)
- the description of the type of the browser used
- the IP address of the device from which the request came. We store the IP address passed on by your web browser for a period of seven days, strictly for the purposes of recognising and resolving attempted attacks on our website. After this period, the IP address will be deleted or abbreviated to prevent any link to a person.
This log data is only stored in anonymised form.
We use session cookies on our website in order to improve user experience and optimise website performance.
You can set up your browser in such a way that you are informed when cookies are being downloaded. You can also delete existing cookies and prevent cookies from being downloaded to your device via your browser settings. Please note that in this case, our web pages may not be displayed in the best way and that some functions may not be available.
1.3. Links to other websites
The data that you place on our social media pages such as comments, videos, pictures, likes, tweets, etc. are published by the social media platform and are never used or processed by us for any other purpose. We only retain the right to delete content should this be considered necessary. We may also share your content on our social media account if this is a function of the social media website, and communicate with you over the social media platform. The data processing is in the interests of our public relations and communication.
Should you submit a request to us over the social media platform, depending on the answer required, we may indicate other, more secure ways in which you can contact us to guarantee confidentiality. You will always have the opportunity to send requests to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We cannot guarantee that the operator of the social media platform does not implement web tracking. Web tracking can also occur independently of whether you are registered for the social media platform. Unfortunately, we have no input as to the methods of tracking that the social media platform implements.
Please be aware that there is no guarantee that the operator of the social media platform will not evaluate your profile data and your behaviour, such as your likes/dislikes, relationships, and hobbies. We have no input as to the methods of processing that occurs on the social media platform.
2. Data you provide to us
The website allows you to directly provide us with personal data by filling in the contact form. Users can contact epi by filling out a form on the website, for which we require salutation, last name, first name, company name, and email address to enable you to use the form. You may give us more information, though you are not required to do so.
With whom does epi share the collected personal data and why?
We may transfer your personal data to processors who support us in operating our website and the associated processes. Our service providers are strictly bound by our instructions and are subject to the associated contractual obligations. We use the following service providers: hosting services and external IT service providers.
We will only transfer your data to a third party if authorisation to transfer exists.
We shall never sell your personal data to third parties or market it in any other way.
How we protect your data?
We implement technical and organisational measures to protect your data from unauthorised access, as well as an encryption process on our website. The data transferred from your device to our server, and vice versa, are secured using 1.2 TLS encryption. You will recognise this from the symbol of a padlock in the status bar of your browser, and the fact that the address line begins with https://.
How long do we store your data?
Personal data shall be stored for the purpose of carrying out the data processing for as long as we have a legitimate interest, or for as long as a legal retention period, a legal requirement, consent exists.
Your rights as the data subject and our contact details
As epi commits to ensure the highest level of data protection the users have following rights:
- Right of access: Users have the right to request confirmation as to whether or not their personal data is being processed, and, where that is the case, to request access to the personal data and information such as the purposes of the processing or the categories of personal data concerned.
- Right to rectification: Users have the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal data and where necessary, the completion of incomplete personal data.
- Right to restriction of processing: Users have the right to request epi to restrict the processing of their personal data under certain circumstances e.g. if you have submitted your objection to processing, for the duration of any verification.
- Right to erasure: Users have the right to request erasure of personal data without undue delay under certain circumstances, e.g. if their personal data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected or if their personal data has been unlawfully processed.
- Right to object: If data are collected on the basis of data processing for the purposes of legitimate interests, you have the right to object to the processing at any time for reasons that arise from your particular situation.
Users can assert their abovementioned rights by emailing to email@example.com. We will then cease to process the personal data, unless there are compelling legitimate grounds for continued processing which override the interests, rights and freedoms of the data subject, or if the processing serves the enforcement, exercise or defence of legal claims.
epi, Bayerstrasse 83, 80335 Munich, Germany, is responsible for data collection and processing. Our data protection officer will be pleased to answer any queries and address any concerns you may have on all matters relating to data protection:
datentenschutz süd GmbH
Phone: +49 931 30 49 76 0